Break out your plastic bibs and heat up the butter, our favorite time of year is finally here! Florida Stone Crab season has begun and we’re celebrating – social distancing style. While we unfortunately can’t come together this year with 16,000 of our besties at the South Beach Seafood Festival, we’re bringing the Stone Crabs to you by giving you some fun facts about the season and taking a look at some of our favorite local seafood restaurants that serve these decadent crabs.
Stone Crab Season Facts
Before we get into the good stuff, like where to eat them, here are some interesting facts about the season and what makes Florida Stone Crabs so unique.
- Florida Stone Crab season is from October 1st to May 1st. This time period is when fishermen are legally allowed to harvest the claws. This year’s season has moved up by 2 weeks so sure to get them in before May 1st.
- Florida Stone Crabs are usually found along the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts but are commercially harvested entirely in Florida. Specifically off the southern tip of Florida’s peninsula.
- It is illegal for fishermen to harvest the full body of stone crabs. They are only allowed to take claws that are at least 2 ¾ inches long. But don’t worry, stone crabs are able to regenerate their claws 3-4 times in their life.
- Adult Stone Crabs are easily recognizable by their dark brownish red oval bodies and a unique marking on the inside of their claw that resembles a thumb print.
- Florida’s regulatory agencies consider there to be three species of Stone Crabs: Menippe Mercenaria, Menippe Adina and a hybrid of the two species.
- The claw meat found in Florida Stone Crabs is considered a delicacy around the world. It’s sweet taste and perfect texture can be eaten straight from the cooked claw or mixed into other dishes.
11 Washington Avenue, Miami Beach, FL
As a Stone Crab staple here in Miami, Joe’s Stone Crab is the place to indulge on fresh, decadent Florida Stone Crabs. Starting as a small lunch counter on Miami Beach, Joe’s has grown into one of the top seafood restaurants in the area. A trip to Miami isn’t complete without a stop at Joe’s.
So what differentiates Joe’s Stone Crabs from any other seafood restaurant? From the beginning of the season to the end, Joe’s Stone crabs are prepared to ensure the highest quality. Joe’s never buys or serves underweight claws. Just wait until you dip your claw into their special mustard sauce, you’ll be in claw heaven!
Wondering when you’ll be able to get a taste of these crabs? On October, 16th 2020, Joe’s Stone Crab will be reopening their doors for their 107th season! Plus, Joe’s stone crabs can be shipped nationwide. You read that right. They’ll ship them overnight anywhere in the United States & Puerto Rico. They arrive fresh, ice cold and ready for cracking.
4610 North Federal Highway, Lighthouse Point, FL
With the mission to combine seafood with delicious, mouth-watering, island inspired recipes, Papa’s Raw Bar & Fresh Market is Florida’s go to local hotspot for all your seafood needs. At Papa’s you can dine on, order take out or shop the freshest selection of seafood, including Florida Stone Crabs brought to you directly from their own boats.
Can’t get to the restaurant or live too far away? Through their shipping division and their own stone crab operation, Best Stone Crabs, Papa’s supplies stone crabs, fresh fish, shellfish, signature salads and more throughout the nation. Treat yourself to a special overnight delivery of the freshest seafood in the world!
600 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL
When your motto is “where crabs are king”, you know you’ve reached the right destination for all things crab. For almost 100 years, CJ’s Crab Shack has been a true family business that sets the standards for what fresh seafood should be. From stone crabs, to oysters, scallops and much more, their menu is true perfection. We highly recommend trying Granddaddy Gus’s signature Deviled Crab Cakes! Stopping at CJ’s is an experience you won’t want to miss.
777 Brickell Avenue, Miami, FL
There’s no mistaking the one of a kind taste of fresh Stone Crab Claws, especially when Truluck’s is cooking. Their chefs are known to elevate classic seafood dishes and every season, the menu is adjusted to offer the freshest selections from the waters of the world, including their own stone crab fisheries.
One of their most popular seasons is of course Stone Crab season. During this season, Truluck’s humanely harvests over 112,000 claws to prepare and serve their guests. These claws arrive daily, less than 24 hours after they are harvested for the freshest experience.
Here’s an insider tip – every Monday during Stone Crab season, Truluck’s offers unlimited stone crab claws for a set price. Make a reservation today, because you won’t want to miss this celebration!